Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarships are available to Australian citizens to engage in 3 - 10 months of postdoctoral research or professional training in the United States. The scholarship is aimed at applicants who have recently completed a PhD. [Note: To be eligible, your thesis must be lodgedprior to submitting your Fulbright application]. The scholarship is generally offered to applicants who are no more than three years post-PhD, however, applicants who are four to five years postdoctoral and present a strong case will be considered.
The Commission offers up to two General Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarships annually. These Postdoctoral Scholarships are open to all fields of academic study.
In addition to the two general scholarships the following Postdoctoral Scholarships are also offered:
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship in Cultural Competence sponsored by the National Centre for Cultural Competence (NCCC) at the University of Sydney (new scholarship opportunity)
- Fulbright State and Territory Scholarships support study or research related to a topic or issue of importance to that state or territory. These include:
- New South Wales Scholarship is supported by the NSW Government and NSW universities
- Northern Territory Scholarship is supported by the NT Government, Charles Darwin University and corporate sponsor, Blackboard
- Queensland Scholarship established by the QLD government and all QLD based universities
- South Australia Scholarship is supported by the South Australian Government and South Australian based universities.
- Tasmania Scholarship sponsored by the Tasmanian Government and the University of Tasmania
- Victoria Scholarship established by the Victorian government and Victorian based universities
- Western Australia Scholarship established by the WA government, WA based universities, companies and individual donors
- Fulbright Indigenous Scholarship sponsored by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
Postdoctoral Scholarship benefits
The Postdoctoral Scholarships are valued up to AUD$47,000 (with the exception of the Postdoctoral Scholarship in Cultural Competence which is worth up to AUD $58,000) and includes the following.
- Living, travel & establishment allowances
- National Orientation Program and a Fulbright Presentation Dinner
- Enrichment Seminars in the United States with international Fulbright Scholars
- Distinguished professional network with U.S. and Australian Fulbright Alumni Associations
- A support agency in the U.S. that assists with visas, events, and networks
- Media and publicity support
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the Scholar only)
Note: Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholars who also receive a full salary related to their postdoctoral position in the U.S., at or above the value of the Fulbright stipend, will be granted a set amount of AUD 20,000.
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholars must spend a minimum of 3 months and maximum of 10 months in the U.S.
- Fulbright funding is for a maximum of 10 months only, however funding is stipend based and will be reduced for shorter programs. Applicants must demonstrate they have sufficient additional funds to support themselves and any dependants during their stay in the U.S.
For further information
To assist in identifying a suitable U.S. educational institution contact your local U.S. Educational Advisor in Australia.